Your San Diego orthodontist and his team make it their daily mission to move their patients one step closer to a beautiful new smile. A biteplane is a full time wearing appliance, used in fixing your deep overbite. Stormberg Orthodontics provides effective therapy and aftercare for your corrected bite. Read on below to learn more about how to properly wear and take care of your biteplane.
For Deep Bite
The biteplane is worn to eliminate breakage of the lower braces when your upper teeth bite too far down over your lower teeth (deep overbite). It opens your bite.
Wear It All The Time, 24/7
Including eating unless instructed otherwise. Remove the Biteplane when brushing teeth (use a toothbrush and toothpaste after every meal).
Expect initially to speak and eat differently. Practice reading out loud, eat smaller bites and you will get used to it in a few days. Your teeth will not come together in the back, but with proper wear and with your braces working, the BIteplane is usually finished in 6-12 weeks!
What About When Playing Soccer or Karate?
Remove the Biteplane during all sports (replace with mouth guard if you can). Store it in a retainer case when playing sports.
Don’t Lose It
The main reasons for loss or breakage are:
- Loss most likely occurs when wrapping it in a napkin and then throwing it away
- Breakage can occur by placing it in your pocket, in a purse or in a backpack without a retainer case.
- Often breakage occurs when an animal may try to eat it or small children may break it or misplace it.
Now if you do lose it or break it, no problem, we all make mistakes. But we will have to replace it at an additional expense.
Why It’s Important To Wear It
- If not worn, lower braces can be bitten off.
- If not worn it will take longer for your teeth to be corrected, this delay of treatment can be worse than treating it.