To help our young patients get the best possible care, we’ve created an observation program that lets us track orthodontic development over time, waiting for the perfect time to start treatment.
Orthodontics for Kids in La Mesa, El Cajon, & San Diego
One of the most common things parents ask us is when to bring their child in for a first visit. This is a great question, and the answer might be earlier than you think! In keeping with the American Association of Orthodontists, we ask parents to bring their children in for an initial evaluation by age 7. At this age, the back bite has developed, which lets us spot current problems as well as problems that may develop later. While we generally screen early, we often won’t begin treatment right then – and that’s where our observation program comes in.
Our Observation Program
To help our patients get the best possible care, we’ve created an observation program that lets us track orthodontic development over time, waiting for the perfect time to start treatment. The program works like this:
- After your initial screening, Dr. Stormberg will monitor your child’s dental development until the perfect time to start treatment.
- We’ll bring your child in for an evaluation every 6 months – and all of the observation appointments are complimentary.
- Even if you don’t see any changes since your last visit, it’s important to attend these appointments every 6 months. Regular screenings are the only way to ensure everything is developing normally.
To track the eruption of permanent teeth, we’ll also take periodic panoramic X-rays of your child – which, also, are complimentary. We will forward this progress x-ray to your family dentist with a progress report to keep their files up-to-date.
- In addition to monitoring dental development, Dr. Stormberg will track jaw growth and bite development. If there’s a problem with these processes, we may recommend early orthodontic treatment.
- Dr. Stormberg will continue monitoring your child’s development until the time is right for treatment. Then, he’ll create a treatment plan that helps your child achieve a healthy, beautiful smile that lasts a lifetime!
Your First Visit: What To Expect
Your custom treatment plan.
Braces or aligners just for you.
Your new smile.
Just Moved? We Are Accepting New Patients!
FAQs from Dr. Kurt Stormberg
American Association of Orthodontists recommend you should schedule your child’s first appointment by age 7.
Orthodontic treatment and a child’s growth can complement each other. By timing orthodontic treatment to predictable stages of dental development, the orthodontist may be able to take advantage of your child’s growth and development. Some problems that can be treated quite well in a growing child may require corrective surgery or permanent teeth to be extracted if treated after growth has occurred.